If you would like to earn some extra money driving locals and tourists around your hometown, you may want to learn how to become an Uber driver.
Uber is a smart phone taxi app that gives mobile users a low-cost option to get around town without using public transportation or their own vehicle. Since taxi drivers can cost a great deal to hire, the Uber service has gained a lot of traction in just a little time. So much traction that there is a need for new drivers all over to country.
Here are the steps that you can take to earn money through Uber:
Understand How You Are Paid as a Driver
Before you go through the steps that you need to go through to get qualified to be a driver, you should have a basic understanding of how you are paid. One of the great things about the company is that it processes all credit card payments through the app. This means that the payment details are already collected before the passenger is picked up.
Once the ride is over, your portion of the payment will be sent to your Partner Payment account and then deposited into your bank account. Uber will deduct between their cut from your payment. This amount is generally between 5% and 20%, depending on the service and destination. According to recent reports, Uber drivers make about $6 more per hour than traditional tax cab drivers.
Be Sure You Have a Qualifying Car
You cannot be a driver and own a 1996 Chevy pickup that has obviously been beat up. If you want to be a driver, you need to have a vehicle that meets strict eligibility requirements. Before you submit your application, you should check to see if the car that you own qualifies:
- The car must be year 2001 or newer
- It must legally seat 4 or more drivers excluding the driver
- It must be a 4-door sedan
- It must have in-state, valid plates
- It must not be marked or salvaged
- It must pass a vehicle inspection
- It must be registered but your name does not need to be on the registration
What Are the Driver Requirements?
If you own a vehicle or have access to a vehicle that meets this criteria, the next step is seeing if you are qualified to be a driver. Uber is very strict about checking your experience and your personal background to ensure that all passengers are safe. Here are the tentative requirements:
- You must be 21 or older
- You must have at least 3 years of experience driving a car
- You must have car insurance in your name
- You must have a social security number
- You must have a driver license number
- You need a clean driving record
- Your criminal history must be clean
- You must pass a background check showing no fatal accidents, DUIs, incidents for driving without insurance, and history of reckless driving within 7 years
Next Steps to Take
If you can check every item off of the list, you can sign up to drive with Uber through the official website. You will be asked to fill out the application after you create an account. It will take a few days to run your background and to complete the inspection.
If you pass, you will be able to take fares and earn money. Be sure to upfront and honest on your application so that you do not waste any time. Putting inaccurate information could delay the process, even if it is not intentional. Gather your information, and now you can use the information on how to become an Uber driver.
See also: 5 Great Jobs for Chauffeurs